In the Skills Launch Program the participants will:
• Learn about various occupations/jobs
• Discover their personal goals and skills and work on their wellness
• Get Health and Safety training (e.g. Emergency First Aid/CPR)
• Complete job search techniques and interview skills
• Learn about the Canadian workplace culture
• Complete a 24-week, paid work experience/internship
The program will:
• Increase the participants’ confidence in their skills and abilities
• Show an employer their skills and work ethic
• Provide the participants with 6-months of Canadian work experience and mentorship
• Provide the participants with local references
• Offer the possibility of full-time employment
Participants were asked to think about what they envision for their future and to try and find photos in magazines that capture that image. each participant presented their Vision Board to the class and explain why they chose the photos they did. Many chose photos of a family explaining their desire to eventually to get married and have children. Security in the forms of transportation, a house, and a job as well as having the financial ability to socialize with friends, shop and enjoy life.
Our wonderful volunteers helped set up the venue in the morning and in the afternoon they worked different stations doing African hair braiding, showing children how to write their names in Arabic, getting involved in youth Olympics and so much more.